Saturday, October 24, 2015

Morning Meditation




Last spring when I was struggling to get back to work and to be healthy I decided that if I didnt have the energy to paint I could start a very small daily ritual of making marks. Actually I decided that one mark a day would be a good start. The marks would be with Sumi Ink and brush. I would make no judgement on anything I did. It was only a meditation, a spiritual practice. I cut up small pieces of rice paper and everyday when I arrived at the studio I would sit quietly, close my eyes and settle in. When I opened my eyes I would make one stroke. That line would then whisper a word or two to me. I wrote it on the paper along with the date. It was about how I felt that day. I wanted one mark for one day. It was a practice of accepting where I was and how I felt for one day.  It took only a few moments and was done. Somedays that was all that I had the energy to do.  It was very powerful for me and it was the beginning of working in a non representational way that was very simple and very easy. It was the first step towards abstract work. It was the first step towards allowing myself some space and ease in making new art and in making a new life . I was letting some deep part of me be acknowledged.


 I still do this sweet and simple meditation and have a vey private and beautiful little stack of drawings that are only for me.

4 comments:

  1. I've been trying to meditate each morning before starting my day, what a wonderful way to include my art in the process. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I am so glad to share this. It is such a simple process and only takes a few minutes. Just do one and don't judge it or do it over or think about it- just like mediation. You just do it- honor it and get on with your day. The really lovely part is looking at a month of these all spread out together- Almost magical. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. Such a wonderful way to balance in the world.

    ReplyDelete